The homeowners insurance market in Florida is in a constant state of change. In this unpredictable landscape, it is in your best interest to choose an insurance agency that you can rely on. You plan on being in your home for the long-run, and we plan on helping you stay there. If you think you need a change, our team can help you make a move.

East & Greenwell is brokered through 16 different property insurance carriers that are all A-rated and approved. That means we make your life easier by doing the shopping for you. Our team goes the extra mile to get you the homeowners insurance in Naples that you need at the price you deserve.

We pride ourselves on maintaining an open line of communication with our clients. If you are interested in a policy review, we look forward to the opportunity to discuss your needs and make sure you receive the best value for your hard-earned dollars.

Decisions regarding homeowners insurance in Fort Myers can be a large pill to swallow, so we’ve broken everything down into bite-sized suggestions:


When you think insurance, you think “deductibles” – but what are they? Deductibles are the amount of money the homeowner pays toward a loss before the insurance company starts to pay. If you are not likely to file a small claim or are comfortable taking higher risks, taking on a higher deductible can help lower your overall premium. Conversely, many people were surprised by their large hurricane deductible. Several companies are now offering lower deductible options for minimal costs.


Most insurance agents in Naples, FL, including East & Greenwell, offer discounts for monitored security systems and monitored fire alarms. Gated community discounts may also be available depending on your needs and policy.


Newer homes are built with up-to-date codes and regulations and will typically be subject to a better rate than an older home. Homes that were built with concrete are going to be less expensive to insure than wood frames, due to lower risk. Homes with a hip roof will receive a more significant discount than homes that do not have one. If you are browsing for homes and would like a better idea of policies and what you should shop for, call a member of our team for advice.


Senior discounts extend to the corporate world as well. Seniors who are over 55 and retired may receive additional discounts on their homeowners insurance.


The land under a house is not at risk from theft, windstorm, fire, and other perils covered in a homeowners policy. Therefore, the value of the land should not be included when determining an insurance estimate. As a homeowner, you want to make sure that your home is insured, but you want to avoid being over-insured.

1. If East & Greenwell is an agency, why is my property insurance with a different insurance company? And do I have to deal with that insurance company directly?

along with many other national carriers, does not offer property insurance in the state of Florida. However, East & Greenwell is brokered with 16 different A-rated Florida property insurance companies that are vetted and approved by.

2. Does my policy include flood insurance?

No. Flood insurance has to be purchased in a separate policy.

By “flood” we are referring to rising water as a result of heavy rain, a storm surge, or a nearby lake flooding. However, “accidental discharge of water” is something that is typically covered under homeowners/condo insurance. For example, if a pipe bursts, that should be covered under your homeowners insurance.

By “flood” we are referring to rising water as a result of heavy rain, a storm surge, or a nearby lake flooding. However, “accidental discharge of water” is something that is typically covered under homeowners/condo insurance. For example, if a pipe bursts, that should be covered under your homeowners insurance.

To fully understand what is covered on your homeowners insurance, please refer to the policy jacket or contact East & Greenwell.

3. What should I do if I need to place a claim on my policy?

If you have a loss and think you may need to place a claim on any of your policies, it is always in your best interest to contact our agency first. We are here to help you with the claim process and help you determine if and when to place a claim. If you need immediate assistance outside of our agency business hours, you may contact the insurance company directly.

4. My mortgage company pays my insurance out of escrow? Why do I still receive a bill each year?

As the policy holder, you receive a copy of every policy document that is generated. This is why you also receive copies of the renewal offer and invoice even when it has also been sent to the mortgage company.

5. Am I insured for enough coverage on my home?

If you have questions about coverage, especially whether you are carrying the appropriate amount of coverage for your home, it is always best to contact us and speak with one of our agents. We are happy to do an insurance review and make recommendations if there is something that needs to be adjusted. Our approach is to treat you as if you were our friend or family member and recommend the type of coverage we would want for them.

6. Does my homeowners policy include coverage for animal liability?

Most insurance companies in Florida do not automatically include animal liability coverage. Some carriers offer it for an additional premium. If you own a dog and are concerned about animal liability, please contact our office and discuss it in more detail with one of our agents.

7. How much would it cost to rebuild my home at today’s prices?

Your home is probably the single largest investment you’ll ever make. By insuring your home, you are helping to protect your investment and your equity.

Estimating your home’s value will help you to determine the amount of insurance you will want to purchase. The primary factors that determine the cost to rebuild your home include:

  • Local construction costs and the square footage of the structure
  • The type of exterior wall construction — frame, masonry (brick or stone) or veneer — and the type of roof
  • The style of the house (ranch, colonial)
  • The number of bathrooms and other rooms
  • The level of finish (builder grade vs. custom)
  • Attached garages, fireplaces, swimming pool, jacuzzi, exterior trim and other special features like arched windows

Here are some tips to help you estimate the value of your home:

  • Every year, take the time to check the value of your insurance policy against rising local building costs. Your agent is available to assist you any time and review your coverage.
  • Check the latest building codes in your community. If your home is severely damaged, you might have to rebuild it to comply with new building code standards which may require a change in design or building materials.
  • Do not insure your home for the market value. The cost of rebuilding your house may be higher (or lower) than the price you paid for it or the price you could sell it for today.
  • Some banks require you to buy homeowners insurance to cover the amount of your mortgage. Make sure it’s also enough to cover the cost of rebuilding.
  • Increase the limit of your policy if you make improvements or additions to your house. You may upgrade features in your home to fit your tastes and lifestyle. These enhancements can significantly increase the replacement cost of your home. We will be available to help you determine whether additional coverage is needed.

8. What would it cost to replace the contents or personal belongings of my home?

If the unexpected happens, losing your home contents is distressing, as well as financially devastating.

There are two distinct ways to insure your personal possessions:

  • Replacement cost coverage: This coverage pays you the dollar amount needed to replace personal property without any deduction for depreciation, but is limited to a maximum dollar amount.
  • Actual cash value: This coverage pays you an amount equal to the replacement value of damaged property minus depreciation. Unless a homeowner’s policy specifies that property is covered for its replacement value, the coverage is for actual cash value.

Many people make the mistake of underestimating the value of their home contents. This mistake is easily made when you consider the amount of new items the average person purchases each year. For a more in-depth look at personal possession coverage, call an agent today.

9. What kind of protection do I need against liability claims?

There is nothing worse than being responsible for damage to someone else’s property or for someone else’s injuries.

This coverage is part of your homeowners insurance policy. It protects you and your family against property damage or bodily injury claims for which you are legally responsible. Liability insurance covers you, for example, if someone slips and falls on your property.

10. A neighbor slips on my sidewalk and threatens to take me to court for damages. Does my homeowner policy protect me?

Yes. Homeowners insurance will pay for damages, if the accident is the result of your negligence. It will also pay for the legal costs of defending you against a claim. Additionally, part of your homeowners policy will cover medical expenses arising from an injury to a neighbor or guest.

11. Is my jewelry covered by my homeowners policy?

On a homeowners policy, there is limited, standard coverage available for your jewelry up to a maximum of $1,000 per item. In most cases, you may want to consider scheduling the items, which provides coverage for your jewelry when its value is higher than the limits stated in your homeowner’s policy. In addition, it typically expands the types of losses the item would be covered for, including “mysterious disappearance”.

12. Do I need to take an inventory and photographs of my belongings?

It is a good idea to have as much information as possible should you have a claim. We would also suggest taking pictures throughout your home so that you can remember the furnishings, etc.

13. Will I be reimbursed for additional living expenses if I cannot live in my home due to a covered loss?

If your home becomes uninhabitable due to a covered loss, you will have loss of use coverage up to the applicable limit for the extra cost of housing, eating expenses, etc.

14. Does my homeowners insurance cover against losses due to fire, lightning, tornadoes, wind storms, hail, explosions, smoke, vandalism and theft?

Yes. Typically, your homeowners insurance covers a large number of perils, including all those listed. There are some limits, however, on the amount of insurance you have so you should always consult your Local Agent.

15. A pipe bursts and water flows all over my floors. Am I covered?

Yes. Typically, homeowners insurance covers you for sudden and accidental discharge of water from a plumbing system. We suggest that homeowners check plumbing and heating systems once a year.

16. When should I think about adding to my homeowners insurance coverage?

Generally, you should contact your agent who will assist you in a review of your coverage whenever you change something significant about your home or its contents. For example, you should review your coverage:

  • when you make additions to your home
  • when you start a business from your home
  • when you make a major purchase, such as jewelry or a computer
  • when you purchase other residential properties either for rental or as a second home

17. How can I make my home safer and possibly save money?

Homeowners who guard against theft, accidents and other losses can often get lower insurance rates and policy discounts. Here are a few things you can do to help qualify for lower premiums:

  • Secure your home with deadbolts and window locks
  • Install a security system with an outside signal and connection to the local police
  • Install and maintain smoke detectors
  • Install a sprinkler system for fire
  • Install a fire alarm that automatically alerts the local fire department
  • Stop smoking
  • Get a wind mitigation inspection done on your home
  • Install hurricane shutters

18. During a storm, a tree from my neighbor’s yard fell and destroyed my fence. Does my homeowner’s policy pay for the damage or does my neighbor’s policy pay?

Generally, your own policy should cover the loss. Your insurance company may be able to recover the amount it pays for the loss and deductible from the homeowners insurance that your neighbor may have, if the loss occurred as a result of your neighbor’s negligence.

19. How often should I review my homeowner’s policy?

We suggest an annual review to make sure your coverage is still in line and that nothing has changed as far as personal items, etc.